Sunday, June 11, 2017

Z1000 Motor Strip

First step of my motor strip, not really sure whatI going to find and if I'm honest I feel pretty daunted by the job. I was going to get a local shop to dot he job but decided to get stuck in. Externally the motor looked rough as rats in terms of furred up alloy and grime but thankfully no obvious damage.  I had been spraying the nuts bolts and head studs pretty frequently as I have had issues with seized and corroded fasteners on my XS850. Another thing that I learnt was to spend some time with a stainless pick and clean out all the cross head screw and Allen head caps to enable the drivers get a good purchase.  

Cam cover off and at first site the cams look really good.
No obvious wear or scoring.
Plenty of gasket gak visible down the cam chain tunnel.
Cams removed and followers labelled. Everything bagged as I go.

White metal cam shells look pretty good on first inspection.
Head off to reveal more nasty liquid gasket and very oiled up pistons.
Bores looking reasonable though.
Worrying that someone had been here in the past with loads of liquid goo

First sign of internal damage was this broken cam chain slipper - this could be the  reason the bike was stripped - it wasn't going to make any friends down here on it's own.
Another set of pics from a different viewpoint - more for my own reference really.










The barrels came away without any drama and the pistons look pretty good.


no obvious signs of a previous rebore - perhaps when I clean them up. 

Alternator cover off - more Goo.






No comments:

Post a Comment